Saturday, October 29, 2016

It all starts with a plan....sort of...

This is the placeholder for the next adventure.  Unfortunately this epic adventure isn't conducive to riding with my daughter.  The route is set, 4,800 miles from the Atlantic to the Pacific.  My motorcycle of choice (steed) for this adventure is the KTM 690 R.  This winter I will outfit/modify the motorcycle to endure the 4,800 mile trip and hopefully prepare me and the motorcycle for the ultimate adventure, riding from Utah to Ushuaia, Argentina in 2018; 11,600 miles.  This year I rode to the furthest northern road of North America, in 2018 I will ride to the furthest southern road of South America.

My approach to the Crossing America adventure is to be a minimalist and travel light.  The new steed is 250 lbs lighter than the Alaska bike of choice, BMW 1200 GS ADV.  Fortunately I can use the AK camping gear, but that's about it.  Riding off road for 3-4 weeks will be taxing to the body and the steed.   Stay tuned as I plan this epic American ride.